RF Solutions Engineer
ATLAS Space Operations connects humanity through space, driving valuable and actionable changes here on Earth. Leveraging Freedom™, our proprietary communications platform, ATLAS provides secure and scalable global satellite communications. Freedom™ is powerful and adaptable, providing services for government agencies and private sector clients, while also supporting ground networks outside of ATLAS.
ATLAS has been recognized as #1 on the World Teleport Association’s Fast 10—a ranking of the fastest-growing teleport operators in the world— and placed #102 on the Inc. 5000, rounding out our success by taking #15 among software companies. Unique to ATLAS is our position on the Vet100, a subset of the Inc. 5000 that highlights the fastest-growing veteran-owned companies in America. This recognition carried special importance for the ATLAS team, many of whom are veterans of our nation’s military.
ATLAS is searching for an RF Solutions Engineer to assist us in expanding our network to meet the demands of the burgeoning space marketplace. Key responsibilities include defining the ATLAS network architecture hardware design standards and designing network solutions to meet customer requirements and market demands. The RF Solutions Engineer establishes SATCOM antenna and modem performance requirements, conducts architectural design trade studies, evaluates antenna and modem products to meet customer and market demands, performs cost benefit analysis between design options, all tasks leading ATLAS to fielding the most cost effective and reliably performing network required to connect humanity through space.
The RF Solution Engineer supports our marketing and sales department to evaluate network capability to satisfy customer requirements. In support of business development objectives, this position synthesizes solutions, cost estimates and implementation schedules for input to the sales proposal generation process. The RF Solution Engineer is the ATLAS lead for sustaining vendor-customer relationships. The vendor-customer relationship is a key element ensuring ATLAS network components meet our exacting requirements as we continue to grow. This position interfaces with customers, product vendors, service providers and co-workers to align efforts with company priorities and in accordance with project milestones and constraints. The position requires periodic travel to vendors, trade shows and customer locations.
- Analyze and define network antenna, modem and infrastructure performance requirements
- Chart satellite communications market technology and service trends with demonstrated curiosity
- Provide leadership to and generate primary technical input towards defining ATLAS’ network and platform development roadmap
- Define and maintain network architecture performance standards and design principles
- Evaluate vendor products for potential integration into the ATLAS network
- Support ATLAS marketing and sales functions, analyzing our ability to satisfy client requirements. In the case of a capability gap, define solutions and steps/costs to meet the customer’s requirements
- Estimate solution design non-recurring and recurring cost estimates along with implementation timelines
- Develop and sustain vendor relationships
- Communicate network antenna and modem performance requirements to vendors
- Evaluate and select antenna and modem solutions based upon performance, cost and network reliability
- Define and manage subsystems evolution plan to maximize network performance and ROI
- Actively participate in and/or lead projects as assigned in order to achieve company goals
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from an accredited post secondary education institution
- Direct experience in RF or optical communications system design and implementation
- 10+ years hands-on experience working in one of the related areas: design, testing, installation, operation or sustainment of satellite communications ground antennas and/or modems
- Knowledge or experience in satellite systems or satellite network design, test, operations and sustainment
- Demonstrated curiosity in state of the art computing and space operations technology advancement and innovation
- Well honed written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills to digest data, perform research, diagnose and solve complex technical problems
- Aptitude to understand and adopt online collaboration tools and design/program management applications
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others, particularly in teams
- Strong work ethic and flexibility to work as required to meet company milestones
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized
- US Citizenship
- ATLAS headquarters is located in Traverse City, MI. Candidates need not move to Traverse City to fill this position. Remote work is approved.
- Military veterans and spouses are highly encouraged to apply
- Benefits include competitive salary, medical, dental, and retirement programs; highly flexible vacation policy
ATLAS Space Operations, Inc. is a Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency Silver Level Veteran Friendly Employer. We encourage all qualified veterans, members of the National Guard or Reserves, and military spouses to apply for this job posting. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.